Tuesday, October 11, 2011

EIN MONAT im Deutschland!

having reached the one month mark I thought I would make a list of all the things I have learned so far starting from the moment i got off the plane...

1) No matter how hard I try the moment I open my mouth they always know I am American even if I keep it simple with things like Nein!
2) Germans have a starring problem! If you are a exchange student considering Germany I am now speaking to you I hope you have alot of self confidence because for the first week all they will do is stare and stare some more and possibly in passing scream ahh there goes an exchange student! then return to starring!
3) Germans eat and they eat alot. They eat breakfest which you are expected to be up and ready for. Then you have a series of " Pause" or breaks they last 15 mins and during each of those you eat. You then return home for Mittagesessen which directly traslated is like middle of the day meal its like Lunch but its much larger. This is a common practice found in my family snacking while watching Greys Anatomy so that one has no idea how much they have actually eatten or the nutritional vaule of the foos that they have consumed. I am okay with it...I have embrassed the fact that I will indeed gain weight. Its worth it when your eating what I am. 
4) Opening your window. You must do it. There is no choice. Upon arrivial I got the sweet surprise that there is no air conditioning in Germany which means constant windows being opened no matter how cold the morning is. 
5) Germans have the best words. I love german words. I wish I could say them better though. I form these perfect sentences in my head and write them amazingly. However, I lack the confidence to speak them. That brings me to my next point.
6) German music is so cool. I love it even though i can't understand it. If your ever looking for some new music I have lots of recommendations now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgCOUO-s8nY
7) Lastly, I miss ever one at home alot. I know everday I am missing something but then I look at all then amazing things I am doing here. my year is nothing compared to anything I would have ever had if I had stayed home  I am so grateful for my experencie and for everyone who has helped me. From making pancakes with choclate chips and bannanna or going to Luxemburg I wouldn't give up my adventure in Germany for a single homecoming dance or football game.
Hope everyone had a good month!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment